Wednesday, March 17, 2010

City Select Stroller Test Drive

Today, I did something that seemed impossible even only 4 months ago. I took 2 toddlers to the park by myself. Now, before you think that I adopted another child - let me explain. I helped a friend by taking her soon off her hands from her for a couple of hours - a favor she has done for me many times.

So, now you might think - how did you get said children to the park. I live in a city, and the parks are close, but not quite within easy walking distance for a toddler, and my friend lives up a heinous hill. So, I borrowed her brand new City Select stroller, equipped for 2 - she is expecting in a week, so she's equipped.

First impression: I am driving an SUV and I am only used to driving a coup. Second impression: this stroller is great and with 2 toddlers weighing in at 30 lb each, it handles only marginally worse than my Maclaren loaded with 1. Major cudos to Baby Jogger for the huge wheels, easily adjustable seats and the extra large canopies that kept both of my charges nicely shaded on this sunny day. The basket is the dream of every city mom. Not only could I fit the random collection of essential park items including: the sand toys, hand wipes, ball, diaper caddy and my husband's old tshirt for wiping slides, but I also fit my not so small bag stuffed with water bottles, snacks and personal items including a makeshift boo boo fix kit of band aids, alcohol wipes and disinfectant cloths. The handle bar is a little chunky for my hands, so I would have liked for them to narrow it a little bit in the center, but it's still great.

I had the kids facing each other, since they are friends and would get a kick out of it. I would NOT recommend this position with siblings unless you have children who share an incredible love for each other and don't poke, prod or otherwise torchure each other when cranky, tired, etc. Because, let's face it, you need to pay attention to the road and not who untied whos shoe, etc.

So, would I buy this stroller? Probably. If my kids were less than 3 years apart and my oldest couldn't easily surf on a board, I would opt for it. I am hoping that my kids will be more than 3 years apart, so that my oldest will be either walking or surfing, which means I won't need a stroller made for two. If you have twins, check the bassinet setup. You may not be super happy with the way the basinets can be arranged although the dual toddler seat setup is great.

No comments: