Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Dirty Food

I love the farmer's market. Here, it happens every Thursday, from 1pm till dusk, but most wares sell out by 6pm, so if you want the best fish, meat or produce, you have to show up early.
There is something truly wonderful about the earthiness of market produce. It literally has dirt on it and I come home, laden with heavy bags of produce and I shake off all the dirt from the bag after I've unpacked it. Every November, when the market closes down and I return to buying food in the sterile bright supermarket, I start to sorely miss the dirt. I get used to it by December, when the winter chill has set in and fresh food is a distant memory.

This time of year, in late February early March, when root cellared supplies are running short and the spring crops haven't yet come in, we enter the true deep freeze of winter. The body starts to yearn for fresh food and we look at the smallest sprouts in the dirt with great hope. Soon enough, just a couple more months, and we'll taste the sweetness of fresh strawberries and smell the ripe tomatoes once more and the cycle will repeat itself again.

No comments: