Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Victory Garden, Week 1


Oh me, oh my, how many funny things grow by! Or don't grow at all. I spent my evening 2 nights ago seeding and planting my wonderful magical garden, only to be heartbroken over the next few days to see the leaves on my bean plants dry out and wither away. I've called an expert to give me some advise and I am hoping she will return my plea for help before the last vestiges of life escape my plants. Does anyone know if I have to prop them upright?

On the positive side, the tomatoes I have planted don't seem to be succumbing to the same fate as quickly (yes, their leaves are also starting to wither at the ends). On the yet more positive side, it seems that although the bean plants are losing their leaves, they are producing beans! This is incredible. The tiny purple flowers of a few days ago are turning into thin, tiny little beans, which are growing very quickly.


No sign of anything else I've planted. Neither the extra bean plants or the herbs.

Here is a funny aside on parenting: after a particularly awful sleepless night with a toddler, I was staying horizontal as long as possible in the morning while my ever energized toddler ran circles around me. I was finally roused from my half sleep by her proud announcement that she did just like mama did with the seed packet and seeded the oregano seeds into the already overfull rosemary pot. Oh, well. Maybe that will be the oregano that actually grows!

No comments: