Thursday, June 10, 2010

Victory Garden, Week 2

I have plants! Well, it seems that my gardening efforts have not been in vain. I have now 3 beautiful bean plants and 2 sorry looking bean plants. The sorry looking plants I had transplanted, which they didn't like, but they are producing beans so I don't have the heart to rip them out and start over. There are 6 small beans, which are getting bigger every day, especially if we have some sunshine. The 3 newly planted bush beans are looking very hearty. We've had a lot of rain and not too much sun mixed with cool weather. My heart goes out for the farmers who make a living on this. It's hard going when the weather won't cooperate.

The tomatoes have not benefited from the increased rain and lack of sun. They are still the stumpy 4-5 inch plants that I had transplanted. I should have started them earlier. Note for next year!

The rest of the herbs are coming in and I am curious to see which ones are which. Of course, I forgot to write down what I had planted where, so I'll have to wait for real leaves to grow before yield can be determined.

I've included a picture of my alpine strawberry bush which I grow inside. Since I've started watering them at night, they've increased 50% in size and produce easily 2 strawberries a day, sometimes even more. Yummy!

No comments: